We’ve all heard the story about the friend-of-a-friend who’s ‘good with tools’ and can do the job at half the price. However, he doesn’t have a licence and only takes cash.
So, with Summer now upon us, and with those electrical jobs needing completion at home and at work, here’s five reasons why a licensed electrical contractor will save you more than just money:
1. Licensed contractors have met the examination requirements of the State/Territory that he/she is operating within – great piece of mind for you;
2. In the event that you have a dispute with your contractor, you’ll have legal recourse if he/she is licenced –the non-licenced contractor will quickly disappear!;
3. A licenced contractor must hold appropriate insurance(s) – this gives you further piece of mind;
4. Your own home/business insurance may not cover you for damages caused by works undertaken on your property by a non-licensed electrician – this could be painful and expensive; and perhaps even more
5. Critically – non-licenced electricians can put your life at risk.
Therefore, when you’re seeking quotes or starting a job, make sure to check that your electrician is licensed. State and Territory Departments make this information available.
Content courtesy of the NECA